- Community Safety
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disabilities
- Special Events
- Community Information
- Arts and Culture
- Venue Hire
- Community Hubs
- Sector Development
- Event Planning Guide
Spring Garden Competition
The Spring Garden Competition is a popular annual community event that has a unique ‘hands on’ quality. Creative and well-tended garden entries are expected from a wide variety of city landscapes including traditional back gardens, courtyards, balconies, river-frontages, corporate green-spaces, community gardens, school yards and large tracts of natural bushland.
View a gallery of the entries in the Spring Garden Competition 2014.
To view photos of the Gala Event at Eden Gardens, visit our Facebook Page.
Best Large Garden (sponsored by Eden Gardens)
1st Place - Eugene Shashkof
2nd Place - Angela Thomas
3rd Place - Heidi Gardner
Best Small Garden (sponsored by Snowden Parkes)
1st Place - Rae and Annalissa Roy
2nd Place - David Heyworth
3rd Place - Marion Nichol
Highly Commended - Adrienne Hicks
Commended - Stuart Leece and On Sook Jun
Best Courtyard/Balcony Garden
1st Place - Sharon Wardle
2nd Place - Maureen Bennett
3rd Place - Jill Crow
Commended - Sadhana Desai
Best Edible Garden
1st Place - Bernadette Douglas
2nd Place - Margaret Mossakowska
3rd Place - Janna Mizens
Best Children's Garden
1st Place - Grandchildren of Barbara Ford
2nd Place - Sarah Yep
3rd Place - Sophie and Lily Arendse
Highly Commended - Aaron Pease
Best Commercial Garden (sponsored by SITA Australia)
1st Place - Living Choice - Leisure Lea Garden
2nd Place - Calvary Retirement Community
3rd Place - InvoCare Northern Suburbs Memorial Gardens
Best Community Garden
1st Place - Macquarie University Community Garden Club
2nd Place - 184A Pittwater Rd Community Garden
3rd Place - The Habitat
Best School Garden
1st Place - Kent Road Public School
2nd Place - West Ryde Public School
3rd Place - Marist College Eastwood
Special Recognition Award - Doomben Ave Gardening Crew
Best Bushcare Site
1st Place - Meadowbank Park Bushcare Group
2nd Place - Monash Road Bushcare Group
3rd Place - Portius Park Bushcare Group
Judging and Judging Criteria
All entries were personally judged by a panel of appointed garden judges and horticulture professionals. The City of Ryde contacted entrants to coordinate a suitable time for the judging panel to view each Spring Garden Competition entry. Wherever possible judging was take place during mid to late September 2014.
It was preferable that Spring Garden Competition entrants were present at their allocated judging timeslot and during the judging of their entry. Judging took between 10 – 30 minutes depending on the size and nature of the entry. Entrants were encouraged to show the judges around their garden. The judges asked the entrants some basic questions about their garden and gardening practices.
For most categories, judging was based on three main factors:
- Maintenance - the lack of elements such as dead and diseased plants, well presented lawns and clipped shrubs, considered water usage and overall attention to detail.
- Design - aspects such as layout, colour, use of line, form and texture, plant use and once again attention to detail within this context.
- Intent - the active participation of the entrant, level of knowledge and enthusiasm and extent of third party assistance.
Some categories will have some additional or specific judging criteria:
- The Community Garden category will have additional judging criteria relating to community engagement and community participation.
- The Children’s Garden, Pre-school Garden and School Garden categories will have additional judging criteria relating to the engagement and participation of the child, children or students.
- The Edible Garden category will have additional judging criteria relating to edible produce and productive practices.
- The Bushcare category will have slightly different judging criteria as it is a specialist area and will take Bushcare principles and best practice into consideration.
Page Last Updated: 11 July 2014