Clean Out Cupboards and Shed for Household Chemical Cleanout
Published on 07 March 2017
Clean out your kitchen cupboards and garden shed and get rid of your old and left-over hazardous household chemicals at the next free Chemical Clean Out event at Meadowbank Park Netball Courts on Saturday 18 March and Sunday 19 March, from 9.00 am to 3.30 pm.
City of Ryde Council is hosting the free event so you can dispose of your old chemicals safely.
Household quantities (with a maximum container size of 20 kilograms or 20 litres) of the following materials are accepted:
- Solvents and household cleaners
- Floor care products
- Ammonia-based cleaners
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Pool chemicals
- Hobby chemicals
- Acids and alkalis
- Motor fuels
Other items accepted at either the Household Chemical CleanOut, or at a Community Recycling Centre include:
- Fluorescent globes and tubes
- Smoke detectors
- Paint and paint-related products
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
- Car and household batteries
- Motor oils and cooking oils
Note: Business-related and commercial quantities of chemicals are not accepted.
Handle and transport chemicals carefully:
- Never mix chemicals as this may produce dangerous reactions.
- Wherever possible keep all chemicals in their original containers.
- Ensure containers are clearly labelled and well-sealed. If you do not know the contents, label the container 'unknown chemical'.
- Liquid can leak during transport: wrap containers holding liquids securely in newspaper, place in sturdy plastic bags and then in plastic buckets or trays.
- Keep household chemicals away from passengers, e.g. in the boot of your car.
For more information, call the Environment Line 1312 555 or visit www.cleanout.com.au or go to www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/whatson