Ryde Libraries Get $100K Boost For e-Books
Published on 12 May 2017
Ryde Library Service is keeping up with the demand for eBooks with a $100,000 funding boost. The extra funds will see the RLS eBook collection grow to 18,000 titles.
Ryde Library Service’s records reflect the growing popularity of eBooks with annual loans up 28%.
City of Ryde Library Manager, Jill Webb, said: "The reading experience on e-reading devices is equal to the experience with a traditional book and digital offers the advantage to download books as and where you are. For library members the added benefit is that downloads are free.
“Fiction readers, in particular, have responded enthusiastically to the e-reading experience with romance, thrillers and mysteries in the top three genres, along with travel and biographies. And in an unexpected twist, women and older readers are powering the move to e-books.”
Ryde’s Top 5 eBook loans:
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Lion by Saroo Brierley
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two by J. K. Rowling
Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
The expanded e-collection includes eBooks, eAudios and eKids and will be launched during Library Information Week (May 22-28).
What’s great about the eBook revolution?
- eBook downloads are free for Library Members and for a limited time only you will received a free March to a Million* enviro-mug on joining.
- Want some free training? A two-hour Digital Discoveries workshop with be held at West Ryde Library on Thursday 25 May 10.00 – 11.30am. To book www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/library or phone 9952 8352.
- Borrowing an eBook or e-Audio could not be easier:
- Go to the website www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/library
- Look for the "Online Library" section of the page
- Click “eBooks and eAudiobooks”
- Select Overdrive or Bolinda Digital as the browsing service you would like to use
- Find a book that you're interested in and click Borrow.
*March to a Million is Ryde Libraries’ quest to reach a million visitors in a year.