- Waste and Recycling
- Bushland and Wildlife
- Sustainable Living
- Animals and Plants
- Air Quality and Pollution
- Water Quality and Pollution
- Managing Our Environment
- Resources for Schools
- Remediation Projects
At-Call Household CleanUp Collection
From 1 May 2015, Household CleanUp collections will no longer be scheduled by Council. Instead, a booked Household CleanUp collection service is available to meet your needs. This is what we mean by an ‘At-Call’ service. This change enables you greater control over Household CleanUps and is designed to be more flexible and convenient.
Residents living in a multi-unit complex (that have a shared bin service) will access Household CleanUps via a booking made by their Managing Body (Strata Manager, Owners Corporation, Property Manager or designated person).
You will continue to have up to 5 Household CleanUp collections per calendar year. This service allows for the disposal of bulky items which can’t be placed in the regular household garbage, recycling and garden organic bins.
How will it work?
- Residents living in a house:
Book your Household CleanUp by calling 9952 8222 (online bookings available soon).
- Residents living in a unit or apartment complex (multi-unit) that share a bin service:
Contact your Managing Body (e.g. Strata Manager, Owners Corporation, Property Manager or designated person) and they will advise you of the next CleanUp collection date for your complex.
Managing Bodies can book a Household CleanUp collection service for their complex by calling 9952 8222 (online bookings available soon).
Please note that the organising of Household CleanUp collections for each multi-unit complex will be dependent on individual Managing Bodies.
- You will receive confirmation of your booked CleanUp date, set yourself a reminder.
- Place materials on the nature strip no earlier than 1 day before your booked CleanUp date. Each household is entitled to no more than 1.5 cubic metres of material or one box trailer load per collection.
Accepted CleanUp items include:
- Old furniture and appliances
- Bundled and tied garden organics
- Nothing with spikes such as rosebushes, bougainvillea, some palm species
- No more than 2 metres in length
- Items not securely tied will not be taken
- Small household items (must be contained)
- Fence palings (nails removed, tied and in manageable bundles)
- Rolled and tied carpet and linoleum (nails/tacks facing inwards)
- Metal / whitegoods e.g. fridges (doors removed)
- Tins (emptied)
- Large plastic containers
- Hot water systems (provided two people can lift it)
- Small quantities of domestic renovation items e.g. toilets, kitchen cabinets (nails removed), baths and vanity units (no ceramics/porcelains)
Not accepted CleanUp items include:
- TVs and computers (click here for information on how to book a free collection)
- Gas bottles
- Paint, chemicals, solvents and batteries (click here for information on disposal options)
- Mirrors and glass items e.g. windows and shower screens
- Tree trunks and branches over 8cm in diameter
- Engine blocks and car bodies
- Decaying matter and general household garbage
- Trade waste
- Building waste including:
- Fibro / plaster board / insulation bats
- Dirt / sand / stones / bricks / concrete
- Commercial / trade quantities of building and demolition material
The above materials can be disposed of at the SITA Ryde Resource Recover Centre located at 145 Wicks Rd, North Ryde. Fees may apply.
Monday – Friday 6.00am – 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday – 7.00am – 5.00pm
For more information visit the Sita website or call 1300 651 116.
If you have reusable items to dispose of, The Bower Group may be able to help:
Always bundle and tie your garden organics
Separate your CleanUp items into 3 tidy piles: metals, garden organics and general household materials - so they can be recycled
Place small items in bags or boxes to reduce litter
Ensure items are no longer than 2 metres and can be lifted by 2 people
Remove spikes, nails and sharp objects
Present items neatly on the nature strip
REMEMBER: You may be fined for illegal dumping if you place materials on the nature strip earlier than 1 day before your booked CleanUp date or if you place materials on the nature strip without a CleanUp booking.
Page Last Updated: 30 March 2015