Jump to: About the Category - Key Dates - Judging - More Information - Sponsors
(JPG, 125KB)(JPG, 107KB)(JPG, 94KB)(JPG, 94KB)(JPG, 94KB)(JPG, 97KB)(JPG, 95KB)(JPG, 97KB)(JPG, 98KB)(JPG, 99KB)(JPG, 96KB)(JPG, 101KB)(JPG, 103KB)(JPG, 93KB)(JPG, 91KB)(JPG, 99KB)(JPG, 92KB)(JPG, 79KB)(JPG, 101KB)(JPG, 93KB)(JPG, 76KB)(JPG, 80KB)
3 - 7 Years Category
1st Place - Zoe Hunnikin
2nd Place - Tobias Aylett
3rd Place (equal) - Alexander Demetriou
3rd Place (equal) - Charlotte Hunnikin
8 - 11 Years Category
1st Place - Jenna Aylett
2nd Place - Tarran McDermid
3rd Place - Tanisha Chari
Best Decorated Pot
1st Place - Nichola Demetriou
2nd Place - Ryan Shi
3rd Place - Rosalie & Evelyn Tang
Highly Commended - Margaret Thompson
Highly Commended - Keira Chung
Children's Seed Growing Category
A new and exciting category in the 2016 Spring Garden Competition. The aim is to see who can grow the best dwarf sunflower plant from seed. Age brackets for entries will be:
- 3 - 7 years of age
- 8 - 11 years of age
- 12-16 years of age
Once you have entered the competition, you can collect your free seed growing kit (Sunflower Dwarf Sensation seeds, 1 x pot, growing instructions and entry tag – limit of one kit per child) from Eden Gardens from 1 July – 31 July 2016. Eden Gardens is located at 307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park. We encourage entries in the Children’s Seed Growing category to be made before 31 July to allow for maximum seed growing time. The seed planting date for the competition is from Sunday 31 July 2016. Late entry, collection of seeds and late planting will be permitted up until 31 August, however this will reduce the seed and plant growing time.
- Read and follow the seed growing instructions provided.
- Plant your seeds from Sunday 31 July 2016 (not before).
- Plant multiple seeds and grow multiple plants or try planting seeds over a number of weeks in different pots. For judging we ask that you choose your best one or two plants to enter.
- See Eden Garden staff if you wish to obtain spare recycled pots to grow extra plants.
- Don’t forget to decorate your pot. Prize available for the best decorated pot.
- When you are collecting your free seeds growing kit from Eden Gardens, you can also enter the annual Gnome Roam competition, a fundraiser for the Father Chris Riley’s Youth Off The Streets. Click here for further information(PDF, 1MB).
- Don’t forget to bring your plant to Eden Gardens on 7 October 9am – 5pm or 8 October before 9.30am for judging. No late entries accepted. Winners will be announced at 11am on 8 October.
Key Dates for Children's Seed Growing Category
1 July 2016
Entries open for 2016 Spring Garden Competition.
31 July 2016
Entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition should be made before this date to allow for maximum seed growing time (however late entries will be accepted).
1 - 31 July 2016
Once you have entered, collect your seed growing kit from Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park). Late collection after this date will be permitted, however this will reduce the seed growing time.
From 31 July 2016
Plant your seeds (don’t plant before this date).
7 October 2016
Entries/plants in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition and/or Gnome Roam to be delivered early to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging between 9am - 5pm.
8 October 2016
Entries/plants in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition and/or Gnome Roam to be delivered to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging before 9.30am. No late entries accepted after 9.30am. Entries will be judged between 9.30am – 10.30am. The winners of the 2016 Spring Garden Competition Children Seed Growing category and Gnome Roam will be announced at 11am.
All judging of Children Seed Growing entries will take place on 8 October 2016. Entries will be judged by a panel of horticulturalists and garden judges. Judging criteria for the sunflower plants will be:
- Overall condition of the plant(s)
- Freedom from pests and disease
- Height of plant
- Number of flowers
- Diameter of flowers
- Best decorated pot also receives an award.
- Online event entry is required prior to collection of seed growing kit.
- Please present a print out of your entry confirmation to the cashier at the Eden Garden Centre to collect your free seed growing kit (limit of one seed growing kit per child).
- All entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition must use the supplied seeds and follow supplied growing instructions as collected from Eden Gardens.
- No hydroponic, artificial growth hormones, hot houses or artificial lights to be used.
- If a child enters multiple plants they will only be considered for a single place/prize (ie. they cannot win multiple places/prizes in their age bracket).
For further enquiries call City of Ryde’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222.
The 2016 Spring Garden Competition is sponsored by: