Main Content Anchor

Monuments of Ryde

Queen Victoria Jubliee Fountain Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain

Corner Blaxland Road and Victoria Road, Ryde

Designed by Arthur Collingridge, this was unveiled October 1897 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the reign of Queen Victoria. Restoration work was carried out in 1973 by the Rotary Club of Ryde.

Original location: intersection of Church Street and Victoria Road, Ryde

Doctors Blaxland and Manning Memorial Fountain Doctors Blaxland and Manning Memorial Fountain

Grounds of former Gladesville Hospital, along Victoria Road frontage

Unveiled November 1904 to the memory of Dr Frederic Norton Manning and Dr Herbert Blaxland, Former medical superintendents of Gladesville Hospital.

Original location: intersection of Victoria Road and Pittwater Road, Gladesville

Ryde Tramway Monument Ryde Tramway Monument Ryde

Civic Centre, 1 Devlin Street, Ryde

Unveiled December, 1908 to commemorate the first ‘turning of the sod’ for the extension of the tramway from Drummoyne to Ryde.

Original location: intersection of Church Street and Blaxland Road, Ryde

Coulter’s Corner Coulter’s Corner

Third Avenue and East Parade, Eastwood

Unveiled May 1962 to honour the memory of William Speer Coulter (known as Speer), Robert Charles Given Coulter (known as Charles) and Katherine Mary Coulter, long term residents of East Parade, Eastwood.

Erected by Miss Jean Ross, Charles Coulter’s niece, ‘as a gesture to the community - to assist residents giving them a place to rest in the steep climb up this section of East Parade’.

Meadowbank Manufacturing Works Memorial Fountain Meadowbank Manufacturing Works Memorial Fountain

Corner Angas Street and See Street, Meadowbank

Unveiled July 1910 to honour the memory of Granville White, Manager of Works at Meadowbank Manufacturing Company, who died suddenly 1 January, 1910.

Restoration work was carried out in 1988 by students from Meadowbank TAFE.

Sheridan Memorial Clock Sheridan Memorial Clock

Intersection Meriton Street, Wharf Road and Victoria Road, Gladesville

Constructed in 1941 as a traffic separation device but dedicated to Ryde Alderman James York Sheridan, who died on 24 October 1941. Described as ‘beloved’ by members of the Council and ‘generally by all classes throughout the Municipality for his kindly manner and his high ideal of citizenship’.

Dress Circle Estate Monument Dress Circle Estate Monument

Heatly Reserve, Sager Place, East Ryde

Unveiled October 1960 to commemorate the development of the Dress Circle Estate by Hooker-Rex Pty Limited: the development of 500 home sites and the construction of 250 homes in co-operation with Ryde Municipal Council. 

The site of the Ryde School of Arts The site of the Ryde School of Arts

Corner Devlin Street and Blaxland Road, Ryde

Completed October 2010. This seat was constructed from a stone wall associated with the former Ryde School of Arts which was built in 1905 and demolished in 1965 for the widening of Victoria Road. 

Sutton Memorial Tramway Monument Sutton Memorial Tramway Monument

Monash Park, Gladesville

Unveiled June 1910 to commemorate the extension of the tramway to Ryde and to honour the memory of Joseph Sutton, son of Alderman Rowland Thomas Sutton and his wife Mary.

Original location: intersection of Wharf Road, Meriton Street and Victoria Road, Gladesville

Last updated on 10 August 2015