Main Content Anchor
eBooks and eAudiobooks
Download eBooks and eAudiobook titles from leading publishers
Thousands of eBooks and eAudiobooks available for loan via Overdrive.
(This service is available for City of Ryde Library Service members who live, work or study in the City of Ryde or the Municipality of Hunters Hill.)
eAudiobook loans from Australian publisher Bolinda.
Before you start borrowing and downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks you will need:
- A current City of Ryde library membership number and PIN.
- A compatible device with an internet connection
- The relevant software or app installed on your device
Devices and Software
You can download eBooks and eAudiobooks on the following devices:
- Windows PCs (XP or later) or Macs (OS 10.4.9 or later)
- a wide range of eBook readers, smartphones and tablets running iOS (Apple iPads, iPhones and iPod Touch), Android and Blackberry OS (note: Kindle does not currently support Overdrive eBooks)
To download and read your loans, you will need to install the following software onto your device:
- For Macs and PCs: Adobe Digital Editions and Overdrive Media Console - you can find these on the Overdrive site.
- For compatible tablets or smartphones: the Overdrive Media Console App which can be downloaded from your device’s appstore (eg. iTunes or Google Play). If you use a tablet, a smartphone, or if you are transferring eBooks to an e-reader, you will also need to register for an Adobe UserID.
For guidelines on how to install Overdrive and get an Adobe ID refer to the Overdrive Guide.
- You can borrow up to 10 items.
- Maximum loan period is 21 days, but you can select a shorter loan period of 7 or 14 days.
- Loan limits for our Online Library collection are separate to the loan limit for our other collections.
- At the end of the loan period files automatically expire on a user’s computer or device and do not need to be returned. Because of this, there will be NO OVERDUES.
- eBooks can be returned early using the relevant app.
- Renewals are NOT available. However, items may be borrowed again.
eBook / eAudiobook Help
Unable to find the answers to your questions in the Overdrive help pages? Please click here to contact library staff with a detailed description of your problem or question.
In order to facilitate troubleshooting, please include the following information in your correspondence, where possible:
- Steps to reproduce the problem
- Exact text of any error message
- URL(s) of any error page(s)
- Library card number
- Title(s) of problem download(s)
- Make and model of mobile device
- Operating system (Mac® OS 10.6.2, Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows XP, etc.)
- Internet browser and version
For more information on eBooks and eAudiobooks see the Frequently Asked Questions(PDF, 53KB).
Last updated on 22 November 2016