The City of Ryde has established an Unauthorised Works Advisory Panel (UWAP) panel. This is a free service to bring together Council staff and customers to provide timely consistent, lawful, clear directions and advice about building works.
Addressing and resolving matters around non-conforming and unauthorised works can be varied and at times complex, including significant documentation and requiring lodgement of various applications such as Building Certificates, Development Applications (DAs) and Section 4.55 applications to modify consents. This can result in deficient and incomplete applications and impacts the approval timeline.
The UWAP has been set up to improve understanding of the processes and legal framework for development by private certifiers, building contractors and land owners. It will do so by ensuring that:
- Consultation with the relevant Council staff occurs early in the process to ensure cases involving unauthorised and non-conforming works are managed and resolved more effectively and efficiently
- Council staff provide consistent, clear and lawful advice to our customers in regard to unauthorised works and activities
- The relevant and correct information and documentation is submitted with applications for Building Certificates, DAs and S4.55 modifications in order to properly assess and determine these applications.
The UWAP is comprised of the following staff
- Manager, Business Improvement and Customer Relations
- Senior Coordinator, Building Compliance & Enforcement
- Senior Coordinator from the Assessment Department
- Other officer/technical experts of Council that are considered relevant dependent on the complexity of the case.
Meeting times and place
The UWAP meetings are held on Thursdays between 1.30pm and 4.30pm. They run from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the complexity of the case. Meeting minutes are taken.
Meetings are held at:
North Ryde Administration Offices
Level 1, Building 0, 3 Richardson Place North Ryde
Meetings can also be arranged at:
Ryde Customer Service Centre
Ground Floor, 1 Pope Street Ryde (below the Top Ryde Library)
Arrange a meeting with the Unauthorised Works Advisory Panel
Contact the City of Ryde Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222 to arrange a meeting.