Main Content Anchor

FAQs on COVID-19

COVID-19 Community Sport FAQ

Council has developed a series of frequently asked questions (FAQs) for the resumption of community sport at our sportsgrounds.

Below are responses to some frequently asked questions. To view the responses, click the + symbol to the right of each question.

What measures is Council taking to assist the community during the coronavirus pandemic?

Council is taking a range of actions to date in response to COVID-19. These include:

  • Lifting curfews for delivery trucks for two weeks in the wake of shortages of critical supplies at local supermarkets. This will ensure enough supplies can be delivered to restock supermarket shelves
  • Providing information and regular updates about COVID-19 to the community via Council’s website and social media channels
  • Initiating social distancing measures at Council facilities including our libraries and Customer Service Centre.
  • Placing advertisements in multiple languages in local newspapers and Chinese and Korean media outlets
  • Improving hygiene protocols at all Council facilities, events and operations, pending further advice from Federal and State governments
  • Cancelling or postponing events or delivering them in online formats.

Further information on Council’s response is available here.  

Council also has a COVID-19 news page on our website, where you can access regular updates.

Further information is available on the NSW Department of Health and Federal Department of Health websites:

Where can I find information about cancelled or postponed Council events?

Please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222 or visit our Event Status page for updates on City of Ryde events.

What Council services are impacted by the coronavirus pandemic?

Council has established frameworks for a range of scenarios to ensure it can continue to operate with minimum disruptions and deliver effective services and support to the City of Ryde community.

City of Ryde is following current recommendations by the NSW Health and Federal Department of Health in relation to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and Council is continuing to monitor the situation in the interest of our community.

Council is implementing social distancing measures advised by the Government.

For the most up to date changes to our services, visit the Service Updates page. We also recommend visiting our COVID-19 page which contains all our news and information in one place.

Are any Council facilities closed due to coronavirus?

The Ryde Aquatic Leisure Centre and venues have temporarily closed until further notice.

In line with the NSW Government’s easing of COVID-19-related restrictions, City of Ryde Libraries and the Customer Service Centre will be reopening their doors on Monday 1 June.

All City of Ryde playgrounds, outdoor fitness equipment, park barbecues and shelters, and the Meadowbank Skate Park will opened to the public on Friday 15 May 2020.

The closures follow a direction from the Federal Government to ensure the health and safety of the community and limit the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Council is continuing to monitor the advice of authorities and will act promptly if this changes. Any changes will be communicated at the venue and through Council’s communication channels. 

All people who arrived in Australia from midnight 15 March 2020, or think may they have been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus, are required to self-isolate for 14 days. This includes not attending any Council facilities. For more information, visit:

Many Council services are available online. Common issues can be reported online.

Many library services are also available online, and customers can access online databases, eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, online newspapers, kids’ online library and more. For more information visit our Online Library page.

Will Council be disinfecting City streets?

Council is continuing to monitor the advice of state and federal health authorities, which at this stage do not advise taking these measures. Council will continue to monitor the situation and respond accordingly.

Can I still borrow books from City of Ryde’s libraries?

As of Monday 1 June Ryde Library Service reopened following the easing of restrictions by the NSW State Government. To ensure the health and safety of our community and staff we will be fully complying with the NSW Health guidelines to provide a safe and healthy environment and have implemented some changes to our library opening hours and services, for details please check the Plan my library Visit page.

Our new Library2U service, will still be running, which allows you to reserve 10 books and have them delivered to your door. Our online collections are accessible to City of Ryde library members and offers both adult and children’s content. If you do not have an existing membership then you can sign up for a temporary membership online to start accessing our online collections.

What is Library2U?

Library2U is a new service offered by City of Ryde Libraries that delivers up to 10 books every month directly to your door as a contactless service to local residents. The service is open to all City of Ryde residents. Hunters Hill residents have access to the service until 30 June 2020. Only books are eligible to be delivered. For more information please see here.

How can I return my borrowed items to the library?

Items can be returned through after-hour return chutes located at all City of Ryde libraries. If the returns chute is full please do not leave your items in front of the chute as they will remain on loan to you until we reopen. Fees will apply if items are damaged or go missing.

Library items will be disinfected where possible and quarantined for a period of 72 hours before being removed from your card and returned to the Library collection for borrowing. A grace period for fines has been applied to all loans to account for this.

Are City of Ryde’s Justice of the Peace (JP) services still available?

All JP services at City of Ryde Libraries are suspended until further notice. For a list of local community centres offering JP services in the local Ryde area and surrounding local government areas, please see our JP Services page. Otherwise visit the JP Public Register for a list of JPs in your local area.

Does City of Ryde Council offer any coronavirus testing facilities?

No, as Council is not a health authority. Patients who fulfill the case definition for investigation for coronavirus infection can only present at dedicated testing collection centres that perform nasopharyngeal swab collections. A list of NSW dedicated coronavirus testing collection centre locations is available here.

Where can face masks be obtained from? Is Council giving away free face masks?

Council is not providing free face masks to residents. Residents are advised to check their local pharmacy, noting that supplies are currently limited due to an increase in demand.

I have seen someone who I believe is displaying symptoms of coronavirus at a Council facility or is in breach of a public health order. Can Council have this person removed?

NSW Police are responsible for the enforcement of public health orders. You can contact Crime Stoppers to report individuals or organisations you believe are in breach of a Public Health Order. Complaints can be reported on ‪1800 333 000‬.

Why isn’t Council doing more to prevent the spread of coronavirus?

City of Ryde is following current recommendations by the NSW Health and Federal Department of Health in relation to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and Council is continuing to monitor the situation in the interest of our community. Further information and updates are available on the City of Ryde website.

How can I report an issue?

The Customer Service Centre will be reopening their doors on Monday 1 June. 

Many Council services are available online. Common issues can be reported online. This goes straight to the right team for actioning and updates will be provided to you by phone or email on the outcome of your report.

If you prefer to call, our Customer Service Call Centre continues to operate and assist customers with council services on (02) 9952 8222.  

I have physical documentation to submit to Council. How can I submit it?

The Customer Service Centre will be reopening their doors on Monday 1 June.

The Ryde Aquatic Leisure Centre is closed. What will happen to my membership / multi-pass visit / Swim School booking?

All Ryde Aquatic Leisure Centre memberships and multi-visit passes will be put on hold and extended for the period that the venue is closed.

Those currently booked into session 1 of Swim School will have the weeks of the session that are missed credited to their account.

Is the Building and Development Advisory Service operating as usual?

From Monday 23 March 2020, Council's dedicated advisory service for planning and development matters will be available via phone only. Customers are encouraged to call our Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222 to speak to a dedicated Town Planner who is available from 9am – 1pm Monday to Friday to assist with your enquiry. In addition to this, Council Development Engineers are available for phone enquiries every Wednesday between 9am and 1pm, and our Building Certification and Compliance Officers are available to discuss building certification and compliance matters every Thursday between 9am and 1pm. For more information, visit our Building and Development Advisory Service page.

Where can I find information about the coronavirus in other languages?

Visit our page on resources and information in your language.

What are the NSW COVID-19 public health laws and what powers do Police have to enforce these?

NSW Police have authority to enforce social distancing and isolation orders made under the Public Health Act 2010 (NSW) and Biosecurity Act 2015 (Cth).

Redfern Legal Centre has put together a fact sheet that outlines public health laws and police powers. This can be accessed here

Who should I contact if I think someone is breaching a Public Health Order?

Police are responsible for enforcement. If you think an individual or organisation is in breach of a Public Health Order, contact Crime Stoppers. Complaints can be reported online or by phone on 1800 333 000.

Breaching a Public Health Order carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment and/or an $11,000 fine for an individual and a $55,000 fine for a corporation.

Are dog parks still open to the public?

Dog parks in the City of Ryde currently remain open, however, members of the public are reminded to adhere to strict social distancing measures. To reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 all taps and other communal facilities at dog parks will not be in operation. Signage has also been installed advising park users what social distancing measures are currently in place.


Last updated on 23 July 2020