Main Content Anchor

FAQs on COVID-19

COVID-19 Community Sport FAQ

Council has developed a series of frequently asked questions (FAQs) for the resumption of community sport at our sportsgrounds.

Below are responses to some frequently asked questions. To view the responses, click the + symbol to the right of each question.

What measures is Council taking to assist the community during the coronavirus pandemic?

Council is taking a range of actions to date in response to COVID-19. These include:

  • Lifting curfews for delivery trucks for two weeks in the wake of shortages of critical supplies at local supermarkets. This will ensure enough supplies can be delivered to restock supermarket shelves
  • Providing information and regular updates about COVID-19 to the community via Council’s website and social media channels
  • Initiating social distancing measures at Council facilities including our libraries and Customer Service Centre.
  • Placing advertisements in multiple languages in local newspapers and Chinese and Korean media outlets
  • Improving hygiene protocols at all Council facilities, events and operations, pending further advice from Federal and State governments
  • Utilising sporting field lights during weeknights to allow residents to keep active
  • Cancelling or postponing events or delivering them in online formats.

Further information on Council’s response is available here.  

Council also has a COVID-19 news page on our website, where you can access regular updates.

Further information is available on the NSW Department of Health and Federal Department of Health websites:

Where can I find information about cancelled or postponed Council events?

Please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222 or visit our Event Status page for updates on City of Ryde events.

What Council services are impacted by COVID-19?

Council has established frameworks for a range of scenarios to ensure it can continue to operate with minimum disruptions and deliver effective services and support to the City of Ryde community.

City of Ryde is following current recommendations by the NSW Health in relation to COVID-19 and Council is continuing to monitor the situation in the interest of our community.

For the most up to date changes to our services, visit the Service Updates page. We also recommend visiting our COVID-19 page which contains all our news and information in one place.

Are any Council facilities closed due to the current stay-at-home orders?

The announcement by the NSW Government on 26 June 2021 to enforce stay-at-home orders across Greater Sydney has resulted in a number of Council facilities to temporarily close.

The City of Ryde Customer Service Centre is currently closed until further notice. The City of Ryde Call Centre will remain open while the stay-at-home orders are in effect.

All five branches of City of Ryde Libraries are closed until further notice. The after-hours book return chutes will be open at all branches during this period and current loan periods have been extended.

The Ryde Aquatic Leisure Centre is currently closed until further notice.

All of Council's community facilities will be closed until further notice. 

Many Council services are available online. Common issues can be reported online.

Can I still borrow books from City of Ryde’s libraries?

Physically borrowing books is not possible while all five library branches are closed. Many library services are also available online, and customers can access online databases, eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, online newspapers, kids’ online library and more. For more information visit our Online Library page.

Our new Library2U service, will be up and running again soon, which will allow you to reserve 10 books and have them delivered to your door. 

What is Library2U?

The Library2U service is offered by City of Ryde Libraries. The service delivers up to 10 books every month directly to your door as a contactless service to local residents. The service will soon resume for all City of Ryde residents. Only books are eligible to be delivered. For more information please see here.

How can I return my borrowed items to the library?

Items can be returned through after-hour return chutes located at all City of Ryde libraries. If the returns chute is full please do not leave your items in front of the chute as they will remain on loan to you until we reopen. Fees will apply if items are damaged or go missing.

Are City of Ryde’s Justice of the Peace (JP) services still available?

All JP services at City of Ryde Libraries are suspended until further notice. For a list of local community centres offering JP services in the local Ryde area and surrounding local government areas, please see our JP Services page. Otherwise visit the JP Public Register for a list of JPs in your local area.

I have seen someone who I believe is in breach of a public health order. Can Council have this person removed?

NSW Police are responsible for the enforcement of public health orders. You can contact Crime Stoppers to report individuals or organisations you believe are in breach of a Public Health Order. Complaints can be reported on ‪1800 333 000‬.

How can I report an issue?

Many Council services are available online. Common issues can be reported online. This goes straight to the right team for actioning and updates will be provided to you by phone or email on the outcome of your report.

If you prefer to call, our Customer Service Call Centre continues to operate and assist customers with council services on (02) 9952 8222.  

I have physical documentation to submit to Council. How can I submit it?

Members of the public can drop off documentation intended for Council in the Ryde Library return chute, near the Pope Street entrance or mail then to City of Ryde, Locked Bag 2069, North Ryde NSW 1670.

Is the Building and Development Advisory Service operating as usual?

Council's dedicated advisory service for planning and development matters will be available via phone only. Customers are encouraged to call our Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222 to speak to a dedicated Town Planner who is available from 9am – 1pm Monday to Friday to assist with your enquiry. In addition to this, Council Development Engineers are available for phone enquiries every Wednesday between 9am and 1pm, and our Building Certification and Compliance Officers are available to discuss building certification and compliance matters every Thursday between 9am and 1pm. For more information, visit our Building and Development Advisory Service page.

Where can I find information about the coronavirus in other languages?

Visit our page on resources and information in your language.

Who should I contact if I think someone is breaching a Public Health Order?

Police are responsible for enforcement. If you think an individual or organisation is in breach of a Public Health Order, contact Crime Stoppers. Complaints can be reported online or by phone on 1800 333 000.

Breaching a Public Health Order carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment and/or an $11,000 fine for an individual and a $55,000 fine for a corporation.

Are dog parks still open to the public?

Dog parks in the City of Ryde currently remain open, however, members of the public are reminded to adhere to social distancing rules.


Last updated on 25 October 2021