Our Common Ground
Expressions of Interest for the Our Common Ground 2022 Autumn Program have now CLOSED.
Five successful groups of neighbours will be establishing and maintaining a food garden and sharing the produce in the autumn of 2022 on the ground of their apartment complex.
Each group will receive horticultural training from Toni “the Veggie Lady” Salter and gardening material to establish a shared vegetable garden bed in their apartment complex. The program will include onsite training, webinars, growing notes, composting and worm farming equipment and material to establish a small vegetable garden. Successful groups will also receive sustainable living knowledge and support on waste, energy and water and the opportunity to receive sustainable living assessments of their homes and complexes.
"Thank you, Ryde Council, for promoting this program which is so important for apartment living. It has given us a new reason to go outside and make use of our communal space. Toni has taught us so much about sustainability and given us practical ways to grow our own food. Thank you for helping us strengthen our community." - Jo, Meadowbank
"This was such an amazing opportunity for our community to learn about organic gardening, create new friendships and reduce our household waste." - Matilda, The Delhi Patch
"It’s great to see that Ryde Council is implementing a program to improve the work habits and choices of their residents. It’s great having community compost that can be put to good use in the gardens." - Penny, North Ryde
"What an amazing initiative by Ryde Council. Especially for the high-density areas." - Michelle, Crowley Green Fingers
"I really like growing my own veggies and feel so connected to nature." - Shu-fang, The Mahattons
If you’d like an idea of what this program entails, read our case studies from the 2021 program.
Lodge your application form to be considered for Our Common Ground to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 14 November 2021.
Key program dates
- Expression of interest close – 31 October 2021
- Applications close – 14 November 2021
- Short list and site inspections completed – 26 November 2021
- Successful groups notified – 1 December 2021
- Online training opens – 20 January 2022
- Meet and greet – Thursday 4 February 2022
- Garden construction (full day) – February 2022
- Expressions of interest – allowing us to send you an application kit and allocate a council officer to support you through the application process
- Application – site selection, gaining the support of your neighbours and your body corporation
- Site inspection
- Announcement of successful applicants