Indexes to the headstones and inscriptions of cemeteries in the City of Ryde are available at Ryde Library. The City of Ryde cemeteries are Field of Mars Cemetery, Macquarie Park Cemetery, St Anne's Anglican Church and St Charles Borromeo Cemetery. We also hold transcripts for Rookwood Cemetery, Ryde Baptist Cemetery and other areas.
Many of the indexes are only available in microform and require the use of readers. Bookings are essential if you wish to use the equipment. Call 9952 8352 to make a booking.
Field of Mars Cemetery
Location: Quarry Road, Ryde 2112
Protestant and Catholic - Historical records available for Protestant and Catholic burials commencing 1890.
Methodist, Baptist and Greek - Search the burial registers for parts of the Methodist, Baptist and Greek sections of Field of Mars on the website of the Independent Section of Rookwood Cemetery. Go to Deceased search and under denomination choose Field of Mars.
Cemetery Inscriptions - Field of Mars Cemetery inscriptions are available in the Family History Room of Ryde Library. The following items are available for use in the library:
- Society of Australian Genealogists. "Field of Mars, Ryde [microfiche]: inscriptions". Sydney: Society of Australian Genealogists, 1994.
- Page, Lynette. "Field of Mars cemetery". Eastwood, N.S.W: L. Page, 1996.
You can also visit the Catholic Cemeteries website for an index of the burial registers of the Catholic and Presbyterian sections and cemetery maps.
Macquarie Park Cemetery (Formerly Northern Suburbs Cemetery)
Location: Delhi and Plassey Roads, Macquarie Park, 2113.
The first burial in the grounds of this cemetery took place in 1922. Records of the monumental inscriptions are available in the Family History Room of Ryde Library.
Visit Macquarie Park Cemetery and Crematorium website.
St Anne's Anglican Church
Location: Church Street, Ryde 2112 (Between Victoria Rd and Gowrie Street)
The graveyard includes the burial place of Granny Smith and Emily Barton (Banjo Paterson's grandmother) as well as several First Fleeters. The cemetery was originally referred to as 'Field of Mars'.
St Anne's Parish Registers for Family History Research are available for use in the Family History Room of Ryde Library. The following items are available for use in the library:
- Headstone inscriptions are available in the vertical file: St Anne's Cemetery
- Parish registers St. Anne's Anglican Church, Ryde, N.S.W." (microfilm). Imprint: Sydney: Society of Australian Genealogists,(n.d.)
Visit St Anne's Anglican Church website.
St Charles Borromeo Cemetery
Location: 582 Victoria Rd, Ryde NSW 2112
The first burial was that of Fr. Charles Mathieu in 1856 and the last burial was performed in 1919.
Records of the monumental inscriptions are available in the Family History Room of Ryde Library. The following items are available for use in the library:
- "Location and name index and transcription of epitaphs of the people buried in the graveyard of St Charles Borromeo, Ryde" - compiled by members and friends of the Australian Catholic Historical Society with the participation of the Ryde and District Historical Society.
- A verticle file on St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery (Ryde, N.S.W.) contains a handwritten list of burials, 1887-1911 as well as information on the cemetery's history and conservation.
Location: Hawthorne Avenue, Rookwood 2141
An index to the Rookwood Cemetery transcripts and monument inscriptions is available for the various denominations and religions.
The index is available for use in the Family History Room of Ryde Library. The following items are available for use in the library:
- "Old Jewish Section, in use 1867-1906, tombstones 1837-1984, Rookwood Necropolis Sydney Australia" [cd-rom] / [project co-ordinator, Kim Phillips]. Sydney : Australian Jewish Genealogical Society, 2004.
- "Society of Australian Genealogists Bicentennial Project Rookwood Necropolis, N.S.W. [microform]: monumental inscriptions". Sydney: The Society, 1994.
- "Rookwood Cemetery transcriptions [cd-rom]". Society of Australian Genealogists. 2002.
- "Society of Australian Genealogists bicentennial project [microfiche]: Rookwood Necropolis N.S.W.: monumental inscriptions." Sydney : Society of Australian Genealogists, 1989-
- "The Sleeping City: the story of Rookwood Necropolis" / edited by David A. Weston; photographs and maps Joan Sigrist; project co-ordinator Laurel Burge. Sydney: Society of Australian Genealogists in conjunction with Hale and Iremonger, 1989.
Visit the Rookwood Cemetery website for online deceased search, history and general information.
Last updated on 29 June 2015