Main Content Anchor

Approvals and Notifications

Event organisers are responsible for obtaining any required permits, licences and approvals as well as any required insurance coverage.

Guidelines and regulations covering things like the safe operation of equipment, waste management, food handling and noise management will be part of the terms and conditions of your venue hire agreement or event permit. These guidelines are strictly enforced and you need to be aware of the requirements.

Remember: check requirements and apply early – some permits require up to 4 months’ notice.

Permits and Regulations

You may need to apply for a permit or Council approval for the following:

  • Road or car park closures
  • Traffic disruptions or need for traffic management
  • Use of footpaths for stalls or entertainment
  • Access through parks by machinery or vehicles
  • Sale of food at stalls or mobile vending vehicles
  • Sale or provision of alcohol
  • Fundraising activities
  • Fireworks or pyrotechnics
  • Amusements such as rides or animal farms
  • Sporting, aquatic or extreme activities
  • Recorded or live music
  • PA systems, amplified music or open air entertainment
  • Staging, scaffolding or other structures
  • Use of power or generators
  • Waste management – bins and recycling
  • On-site or portable toilet facilities

See the Guidelines page for more detailed information on requirements.


Public Liability Insurance cover for a minimum of $20 million is required for all events run by:

  • Incorporated bodies, sporting clubs or associations
  • Religious organisations
  • Commercial enterprises

Local Community Insurance Services is a specialist insurance provider established to manage the insurance needs of clubs and community groups within Australia.

You should also ensure any contractors you use have appropriate insurance to cover their activities at the event. Ask them to provide a copy of their Certificate of Currency.


Depending on the size and type of event, you should notify emergency services and any group impacted by the event at least 3 weeks in advance.

NSW Police

Police are responsible for assisting with an emergency management plan and for the control of crowds, traffic and alcohol licence compliance. The local commander will decide the level of police assistance required for an event. Fees for policing services may apply depending on the nature of the event.

  • Ryde Local Area Command, ph: 9858 9299

Fire NSW

If you are organising an event such as a street party, fete, sporting event, outdoor concert or another event attracting large numbers of people, notify the local fire station. This will ensure they are aware of your event and any specific risks they may need to respond to. It is also important that you advise them of any potential impact to traffic routes from road closures or congestion.

  • Eastwood Fire Station, ph: 9858 4457
  • Ryde Fire Station, ph: 9808 2798
  • Gladesville Fire Station, ph: 9817 4821

Ambulance NSW

If you are organising an event such as a street party, fete, sporting event, outdoor concert or another event attracting large numbers of people within the City of Ryde, email details of the event to:

St John Ambulance

It is essential that you provide adequate facilities and qualified personnel to administer first aid. St John Ambulance volunteers can provide first aid services at events and advice on requirements.

State Emergency Service (SES)

The SES can provide advice for events with activities, structures or in locations that could pose potential risks in storms, strong winds or other emergencies. Notifying the SES will ensure they can monitor and prepare appropriately.

  • Ryde SES Unit, ph: 13 25 00

Local businesses and residents

If your event will impact on local residents – eg, traffic or parking congestion on local streets, amplified music near houses, crowds, etc - you should do a letterbox drop to houses in the surrounding area about 2 weeks in advance. Local businesses should be notified of events in their area about 4 weeks in advance.

In your letter, include the name, date and location of the event, why it is being held, what will be happening during the event, what impacts you expect, and a contact number for queries and concerns. 

Last updated on 30 June 2015