Main Content Anchor

Entertainment and Activities

Live Performances

Entertainment may range from small community amateur groups, commercial entertainers and roaming performers. Ensure material will not be offensive to the target population of the event and that the content is relevant and engaging. Ensure that performer requirements are discussed prior to the event and all parties are aware of their rights and responsibilities.

Remember, you have a duty of care in relation to the health and safety of performers at your event. During your risk assessment, identify any potential hazards for performers and take steps to minimise those risks. (See the Safety and Security section). Remember also that performers may need facilities in which to change their clothes, do their make-up etc. 

Rides and Amusement Structures

Having amusements such as rides or inflatable structures such as bouncy castles will bring lots of entertainment for families and young children at any event.

As an event organiser you need to ensure that amusements that are used on the day are safe and comply with state regulations. Each amusement device must be registered with the Work Cover Authority as required under the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 2001, Part 5and the Australian Standard 3533 Registration.

Amusement operators require:

  • Their own current and up-to-date public liability insurance no less than $20,000,000
  • Current Certificate of Worthiness for each item used for the event
  • Evidence of a current up-to-date service logbook

Animal Nurseries and Farms

Where members of the public are allowed to touch any animals, hand-washing facilities (eg. bathroom or sink) must be readily available on the premises or venue and the members of the public must be encouraged to thoroughly wash their hands after touching any animals. If hand washing facilities are not readily available, you must ensure that members of the public who touch animals can clean their hands with anti-bacterial gel and/or wipes provided and are encouraged by the authority holder to use them.

For more information, see Standards for exhibiting animals at mobile establishments in NSW.


If you want to present fireworks at your event, the following requirements apply:

  • A Fireworks Permit from the WorkCover Authority of NSW and a Certificate of Approval from the Dangerous Goods Branch of the WorkCover Authority and Board of Fire Commissioners for Firework Display. 
  • Permits and certificates must be submitted to Council no later than 14 days prior to the event. 
  • Fireworks are not permitted within 50 metres of dwellings 
  • Evidence of Public Liability Policy (Certificate of Currency) with a minimum of $20,000,000 indemnity. 
  • Contact with local fire brigade and police is compulsory and you must advise them of your proposed fireworks display 
  • On total fire ban days fireworks are only permitted with approval from the local fire brigade. 
  • All fireworks are to be completed no later than 9.30pm (Unless authorised by a Council Authority) 
  • WorkCover may refuse to issue a permit if Council has objections to fireworks in a particular location and/or time/day 
Last updated on 30 June 2015