Main Content Anchor


Alcohol service | Children's activities | Fireworks/pyrotechnices | FoodFundraising | Music (live or pre-recorded) | Noise | RidesRoad closures or traffic disruptions 

Please note: the following information is provided as a guide only and all requirements and guidelines should be checked by the event organiser before proceeeding.

Alcohol service

Approval needed: Yes - Liquor Licence
Regulating body: NSW Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing, ph: 9995 0894 
Submit application: At least one month prior to event
Fee: Yes 
Guidelines/regulations: Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certification is required for anyone serving alcohol or providing security for areas in which alcohol is consumed. Signage must be displayed as per

If you intend to sell or supply alcohol, you need to apply for the appropriate liquor licence from the Liquor Administration Board and and submit this licence to the Licensing Police at least 14 days prior to the date of the event. You also need to provide a copy of the licence to Council 7 days prior to the event. Your event may fall under one of these licence categories:

  • Limited licence: a limited licence allows liquor to be sold at functions held by a non profit organisation (known as a ‘non-proprietary association’). A ‘function’ is any dinner, ball, convention, seminar, sporting event, race meeting, exhibition, performance, trade fair or other fair, fete or carnival, or any other event or activity, that is conducted for public amusement or entertainment or to raise funds for any charitable purpose. Liquor sold at these types of functions may only be consumed at the function – it cannot be taken away from the function.
  • On-premises licence: an on-premises licence allows alcohol to be sold with, or ancillary to, another product or service that is sold, supplied or provided to people on premises such as a public hall, sporting facilities or for any other kinds of events.

For more information, fact sheets and application forms see the NSW Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing website.

Children's Activities

Approval needed: No, but entertainers or those running children's activities must have a Working with Children Check.
Regulating body: Office of the Children’s Guardian
Submit application: At least four weeks prior to event
Fee: Yes, however volunteers are exempt from fee
Guidelines/regulations: Working with Children guidelines - see Office of the Children’s Guardian for more information.


Approval needed?: Yes -  Council approval required for use in parks and public areas 
Regulating body: WorkCover Authority NSW (guidelines), City of Ryde (enforcement) 
Submit application: Notification must be submitted to WorkCover by a licensed pyrotechnician at least seven days prior to event. Council approval requires confirmation of WorkCover notification.
Fee: Yes - notification and single use licence fees apply, see WorkCover Authority NSW
Guidelines/regulations: The use of fireworks or pyrotechnic displays are limited to those holding a pyrotechnician's licence or a fireworks (single use) licence. Single use licences are issued by WorkCover for the purpose of using display fireworks (ground display, chinese string or theatrical / indoor) for a single occasion / event only. For more information, see the WorkCover website.


Approval needed?: Not required for food stalls at events run by groups where any profits are directed back to the community (eg. charities, sports clubs, Rotary clubs, community groups etc).  Council approval is required for stalls selling food for commercial purposes and for mobile vending units. 
Regulating body: NSW Food Authority (guidelines), City of Ryde (enforcement) 
Submit application: 
Fee: Yes - for mobile vending and commercial food stalls only
Guidelines/regulations: Adherence to The Food Act 2003 (NSW) and Food Standards Code. Inspection of stalls and mobile vending vehicles by Council Health Officers. If food is sold at a fundraising event for community or charitable causes, you are not required to notify the NSW Food Authority as long as the food is eaten immediately after thorough cooking and does not pose a possible health risk. Examples include: school fetes where the proceeds are donated to a charitable organisation, a sausage-sizzle to raise funds for the junior soccer players club, a lamington drive to raise money for the victims of a natural disaster like the Blue Mountains bush fires, selling chocolates to raise money for the Red Cross. For more information see the NSW Food Authority website.


Approval needed: Not required for raffles. Permit may be required for other games of chance. 
Regulating body: NSW Office of Liquor Gaming and Racing, ph: 9995 0894 
Submit application: At least 25 days prior to event
Fee: No
Guidelines/regulations: Compliance with the Lotteries and Art Unions Act 1901 and the Lotteries and Art Unions Regulation 2007 guidelines covering prohibited prizes, maximum prize value, ticket formats, allowable expenses and advertising restrictions.

Music (live or pre-recorded)

Approval needed: Yes - APRA Licence Agreement 
Regulating body: Australasian Performing Rights Association, ph: 1800 852 388
Submit application:  No later than 72 hours prior to event
Fee: Yes 
Guidelines/regulations: As part of the licence process you will need to ensure that all performers complete a list of the works they perform and return these to APRA within 30 days of the event. Music is protected by copyright law and you require a licence from the APRA to publicly perform either live or recorded music at your event. APRA acts as a copyright collection agency on behalf of composers, authors and publishers by licensing the use of their music. If your sporting event, concert, festival or event is free to the public, you will still require an APRA licence to play copyright music. The licence fee can vary depending on the scale of the event and the type of performances. For more information, fact sheets and application forms see the APRA website.


Approval needed: No, but guidelines apply
Regulating body: Environment Protection Authority (guidelines), NSW Police and Council (enforcement)
Submit application: N/A
Fee: N/A
Additional regulations:  Adherence to guidelines under Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008. For more information, fact sheets and application forms see the Environment Protection Authority website.

Rides and amusements

Approval needed: Yes
Regulating body: WorkCover NSW (guidelines), Council (enforcement)
Submit application: Yes
Fee: Yes
Additional regulations: Certain amusement devices must be registered with WorkCover. There are also requirements around the operation, inspection and maintenance of log books.  For more information see WorkCover NSW.

Road closures or traffic disruptions

Approval needed: Yes
Regulating body: Council, Roads & Maritime Service (RMS) and NSW Police
Submit application: At least 4 months prior to event
Fee: N/A
Additional regulations: Various guidelines apply in relation to the planning, implementation and monitoring of road closures.  If your event will require road closures or the closure of one or more lanes on a road you need approval from Council's Traffic Committee which is comprised of representatives from the RMS, the Police and transport authorities. Details on the process as well as templates and guidelines are available from the RMS website

Last updated on 27 June 2015