This is a very exciting and much anticipated category in the 2020 Spring Garden Competition. The aim is to see who can grow the best Cosmos Carpet Formula from seed. Age brackets for entries will be:
- 3 – 7 years of age
- 8 – 12 years of age
Once you have entered the competition, you can collect your free seed growing kit (Cosmos seeds, 1 x pot, growing instructions and 2 entry tags – limit of one kit per child) from Eden Gardens during 1 August – 20 September 2020. Eden Gardens is located at 307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park.
We encourage entries in the Children’s Seed Growing category to be made before 31 August to allow for maximum seed growing time. The competition's seed planting date starts from Sunday 16 August 2020.
Late entry, collection of seeds and late planting will be permitted up until 20 September, however this will reduce the seed and plant growing time.
Seed Growing Competition tips
- Read and follow the seed growing instructions provided.
- Plant your seeds from Sunday 16 August 2020 (not before).
- Plant multiple seeds and grow multiple plants or try planting seeds over a number of weeks in different pots. For judging we ask that you choose your best one or two plants to enter.
- Don’t forget to decorate your pot. Prize available for the best decorated pot.
- Don’t forget to bring your plant to Eden Gardens on 6 November in between 9.00am and 5.00pm or on 7 November before 10.00am for judging. Winners will be announced at 11.00am on 7 November.
Entries will be judged by a panel of horticulturalists and garden judges. Judging criteria will be:
- Overall condition of the plant/s
- Freedom from pests and disease
- Height of plant
- Number of flowers
- Diameter of flowers
- Best decorated pot also receives an award.
- Event entry is required prior to collection of seed growing kit.
- Please present a print out of your entry confirmation to the cashier at the Eden Garden Centre to collect your free seed growing kit (limit of one seed growing kit per child).
- All entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition must use the supplied seeds and follow supplied growing instructions as collected from Eden Gardens.
- No hydroponic, artificial growth hormones, hot houses or artificial lights to be used.
- If a child enters multiple plants they will only be considered for a single place/prize (ie. they cannot win multiple places/prizes in their age bracket).
- 1 August 2020: Entries open.
- 20 September 2020: Entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition should be made before this date to allow for maximum seed growing time (however late entries will be accepted).
- From 16 August 2020: Plant your seeds (don’t plant before this date).
- Friday 6 November 2020: Plants can be delivered early to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) between 9.00am and 5.00pm.
- Saturday 7 November 2020: Plants in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition to be delivered to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging before 10.00am. Entries will be judged between 10.00am - 10.30am. The winners of the 2020 Spring Garden Competition Children’s Seed Growing category will be announced at 11.00am.
For further enquiries call City of Ryde’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222.