Entries Are Now Open!
Entries for the 2019 Spring Garden Competition - Children’s Seed Growing Competition are now open.
An exciting category in the 2019 Spring Garden Competition. The aim is to see who can grow the best sunflowers from seed. Age brackets for entries will be:
- 3 – 7 years of age
- 8 – 12 years of age
Once you have entered the competition, you can collect your free seed growing kit (sunflower seeds, 1 x pot, growing instructions and 2 entry tags – limit of one kit per child) from Eden Gardens from 1 July – 31 July 2019. Eden Gardens is located at 307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park. We encourage entries in the Children’s Seed Growing category to be made before 31 July to allow for maximum seed growing time. The seed planting date for the competition is from Sunday 14 July 2019. Late entry, collection of seeds and late planting will be permitted up until 31 August, however this will reduce the seed and plant growing time.
Seed Growing Competition tips
All judging of Children’s Seed Growing entries will take place on 12 October 2019. Entries will be judged by a panel of horticulturalists and garden judges. Judging criteria for the sunflower plants will be:
- Overall condition of the plant/s
- Freedom from pests and disease
- Height of plant
- Number of flowers
- Diameter of flowers
- Best decorated pot also receives an award.
- Event entry is required prior to collection of seed growing kit.
- Please present a print out of your entry confirmation to the cashier at the Eden Garden Centre to collect your free seed growing kit (limit of one seed growing kit per child).
- All entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition must use the supplied seeds and follow supplied growing instructions as collected from Eden Gardens.
- No hydroponic, artificial growth hormones, hot houses or artificial lights to be used.
- If a child enters multiple plants they will only be considered for a single place/prize (ie. they cannot win multiple places/prizes in their age bracket).
- 1 July 2019: Entries open for 2019 Spring Garden Competition.
- From 14 July 2019: Plant your seeds (don’t plant before this date).
- 31 July 2019: Entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition should be made before this date to allow for maximum seed growing time (however late entries will be accepted).
- 1 – 31 July 2019: Once you have entered, collect your seed growing kit from Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park). Late collection after this date will be permitted, however this will reduce the seed growing time.
- 11 October 2019: Entries/plants in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition can be delivered early to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging between 9am - 5pm.
- 12 October 2019: Entries/plants in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition to be delivered to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging before 9.30am. No late entries accepted after 9.30am. Entries will be judged between 9.30am – 10.30am. The winners of the 2019 Spring Garden Competition Children’s Seed Growing category will be announced at 11am.
For further enquiries call City of Ryde’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222.
Get some inspiration and view photos from some entries from previous Spring Garden Competition events!
(JPG, 250KB)(JPG, 257KB)(JPG, 232KB)(JPG, 223KB)(JPG, 235KB)(JPG, 236KB)(JPG, 227KB)(JPG, 233KB)(JPG, 242KB)(JPG, 238KB)(JPG, 227KB)(JPG, 219KB)(JPG, 226KB)