Children's Seed Growing Category
A very exciting and much anticipated category in the 2021 Spring Garden Competition. The aim is to see who can grow the best Californian poppy from seed. Age brackets for entries will be:
- 3 - 7 years of age
- 8 - 12 years of age
Once you have entered the competition, you can collect your free seed growing kit (poppy seeds, 1 x pot, growing instructions and 2 entry tags - limit of one kit per child) from Eden Gardens (pickup date to be confirmed). Eden Gardens is located at 307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park. We encourage entries in the Children’s Seed Growing category to be made before 31 August to allow for maximum seed growing time. The seed planting date for the competition is from Tuesday, 31 August 2021. Late entry, collection of seeds and late planting will be permitted up until 20 September 2021, however this will reduce the seed and plant growing time.
Seed Growing Competition Tips
- Read and follow the seed growing instructions provided.
- Plant your seeds from Tuesday, 31 August 2021 (not before).
- Plant multiple seeds and grow multiple plants or try planting seeds over a number of weeks in different pots. For judging we ask that you choose your best one or two plants to enter.
- Don’t forget to decorate your pot. Prize available for the best decorated pot.
- Don’t forget to bring your plant to Eden Gardens on 12 November 9am - 5pm or 12 November before 10am for judging. Winners will be announced at 11am on 13 November 2021.
Entries will be judged by a panel of horticulturalists and garden judges. Judging criteria will be:
- Overall condition of the plant/s
- Freedom from pests and disease
- Height of plant
- Number of flowers
- Diameter of flowers
- Best decorated pot also receives an award.
- Event entry is required prior to collection of seed growing kit.
- Please present a print out of your entry confirmation to the cashier at the Eden Garden Centre to collect your free seed growing kit (limit of one seed growing kit per child).
- All entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition must use the supplied seeds and follow supplied growing instructions as collected from Eden Gardens.
- No hydroponic, artificial growth hormones, hot houses or artificial lights to be used.
- If a child enters multiple plants they will only be considered for a single place/prize (i.e. they cannot win multiple places/prizes in their age bracket).
- 1 August 2021: Entries open.
- 20 September 2021: Entries in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition should be made before this date to allow for maximum seed growing time (however late entries will be accepted).
- From 31 August 2021: Plant your seeds (don’t plant before this date).
- Friday 12 November 2021: Plants can be delivered early to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) between 9am - 5pm.
- Saturday 13 November 2021: Plants in the Children’s Seed Growing Competition to be delivered to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging before 10am. Entries will be judged between 10am - 10.30am. The winners of the 2021 Spring Garden Competition Children’s Seed Growing category will be announced at 11am.
Click here to get some inspiration and view photos from some entries from previous Spring Garden Competition events.
(JPG, 392KB)(JPG, 284KB)(JPG, 274KB)(JPG, 269KB)(JPG, 286KB)(JPG, 221KB)(JPG, 269KB)(JPG, 216KB)(JPG, 245KB)(JPG, 222KB)(JPG, 220KB)
For further enquiries call City of Ryde’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222.