Engaging an Arborist

Working with trees can be dangerous and often requires the skills of an expert. It is important to hire appropriately qualified people to carry out tree works.

Before employing an Arborist, check that they are insured and carry Australian Qualifying Framework (AQF) certification.

Working Arborist (Trade Qualified)

Working Arborists are trade qualified to care for trees, and are generally hired to provide basic care, including pruning and/or removal.

Once you have obtained permission to undertake tree works, look for an Arborist who has AQF Level 3 qualification or equivalent in Horticulture (Arboriculture). This ensures that the work is done in accordance with the Australian Standards.

Consulting Arborists (Consultant)

Consulting Arborists have the training and experience to provide expert assessments on the health and condition of trees.

If you need specialist advice or an Arborist Report on the health of your tree, as per Council’s conditions, you will need to engage a Consulting Arborist with AQF Level 5 or equivalent in Horticulture (Arboriculture).

The links below direct you to a list of Associations that have suitably qualified Arborists as their members: