Report Illegal Boarding Houses

The NSW Government’s Affordable Rental Housing - State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) now allows for the development of boarding houses in residential areas but only with the consent of Council.

There are mandatory development standards that these developments must comply with such as floor space ratio, room sizes, parking, heights and landscaping.

Unfortunately, a number of dwellings in the City of Ryde have been modified without Council consent and are being used as boarding houses.

Report It

If you suspect that a property in the City of Ryde is being unlawfully used as a boarding house, you may submit details of the property using the form below.

You are required to provide your contact details. This information is kept confidential. It is Council policy not to investigate anonymous complaints.

Council's Environmental Health and Building Unit will investigate the matter and take appropriate action.

Please Note: A group of unrelated students sharing a dwelling does not necessarily constitute a boarding house. Whether or not it is a boarding house will depend on the leasing arrangement and if any unauthorised modifications to the dwelling have taken place.

Click here to view form.