Main Content Anchor

Noise Complaints

Construction hours extended
The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has announced a range of new planning rules in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Under the new rules, construction sites will be able to operate on weekends and public holidays as a way of supporting the construction industry during the outbreak. 
The department said the extension of hours for construction sites allows workers to abide by social distancing rules while keeping construction projects progressing by allowing building work to be spread across more days of the week. Click here for more information. 


Noise can often cause problems between neighbours. Here are some ways you can reduce these types of problems:

  • Let your neighbours know you are having a party before the event. Give them your contact number in case they need to call you if the noise is disturbing them.
  • Think about when and how loud your children are yelling and screaming. How could it impact others?
  • Play musical instruments during the day behind closed doors, to minimise noise.

Certain equipment may not be used on residential premises between certain times if it can be heard inside a neighbour’s house. Below are the times your neighbour should not be able to hear the following noises:

Power tools and equipment

  • 8.00pm - 8.00am on Sundays and public holidays
  • 8.00pm to 7.00am on weekdays and Saturdays

Musical instruments and electrically amplified sound equipment

  • Midnight to 8.00am on Friday, Saturday or any day preceding a public holiday
  • 10.00pm to 8.00am on any other day

Air conditioners and heat pump water heaters

  • 10.00pm to 8.00am on weekends and public holidays
  • 10.00pm to 7.00am on weekdays

Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving residential premises)

  • 8.00pm to 8.00am on weekends and public holidays
  • 8.00pm to 7.00am on weekdays

Refrigeration units fitted to motor vehicles

  • 8.00pm to 8.00am on weekends and public holidays
  • 8.00pm to 7.00am on weekdays

If the noise is occurring you should contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9952 8222 during office hours, or contact the local police if urgent attention is required after hours (eg loud parties, noisy intruder alarms).

Dealing with Noise

The following information from the NSW EPA provide guidance on dealing with noise problems:

Last updated on 2 April 2020