Constitution Road Infrastructure Upgrade
- Project typeIntegrated Infrastructure Upgrade
- Project value$17,250,000
- Project StatusDesign and Investigation
Council is taking a wholistic approach for the major upgrade works within the Constitution Road Corridor between Belmore Street and Meadowbank Railway Station to improve traffic capacity and vehicle and pedestrian safety. The works will support the predicted future traffic management requirements of Constitution Road as a primary sub-arterial access road into Meadowbank Town Centre.
Key outcomes include:
- Improved traffic capacity and road safety
- Connected pedestrian access to Meadowbank Railway Station and TAFE
- Enhanced streetscape and public domain including landscaping, new street lighting and retaining walls with public art
- Sustainable approach utilising best-practice technologies, minimising waste and encouraging resource reuse, recycling and sustainability
- Financial savings by renewing and upgrading assets, extending service lives to improve service levels and reducing ongoing maintenance costs
What will the works include?
- Continuation of footpath through rock cutting under the Angas Street Bridge (Stage 1)
- Installation of traffic lights at the Constitution Road and Bowden Street intersection to improve traffic and pedestrian safety (Stage 2)
- Reconstruction and widening of Constitution Road and footpath improvements to enhance motorist and pedestrian safety (Stage 2)
- New permanent retaining wall on the northern side of Constitution Road to permanently restore embankment failures arising from previous storms (Stage 2)
Stage 1: Constitution Road Footpath Connection
The rock face under Angas Street bridge will be cut back to enable construction of a footpath connection between Bowden Street and See Street, Meadowbank. This will provide a connected, accessible pathway while Council continues to work with property owners to make safe and restore the footpath and embankment on the northern side. Works also include a new pedestrian crossing at See Street and Constitution Road to improve access to both Meadowbank Railway Station and TAFE.
- Pedestrian crossing relocation: The pedestrian crossing was relocated further west of the roundabout along Constitution Road to improve pedestrian safety. Completed December 2022
- Rock face cutting: A suitably qualified specialist contractor to cut back the rock face to enable the construction of the footpath extension was appointed in January 2024.
- Work Notification to the residents in the area has been completed. View the Work Notification Flyer(PDF, 4MB).
- Construction activities is expected to start on 19 February 2024, beginning with site setup and traffic management activities. Work is expected to be completed by 19 April 2024
- To facilitate the site compound, east bound traffic will be diverted during the work duration. Refer to Traffic Management Plan in the Work Notification Flyer(PDF, 4MB).
- In the interest of safety, Angas Street bridge will be closed to vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists the during the excavation and stabilisation works.
- New pedestrian crossing: A new pedestrian crossing will be built across Constitution Road at See Street to improve access to both Meadowbank Station and TAFE.
- The pedestrian crossing design has now been completed.
- Construction activity will start in early April.
Current Pedestrian Detours
Until these works are completed, the current detours will remain in place.
For your safety during this time, please follow the outlined detours below.
We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Stage 2: Constitution Road/Bowden Street Traffic Management
These works relate to the installation of new traffic signals at the intersection of Constitution Road and Bowden Street, Meadowbank, which will be undertaken as part of major upgrades to Constitution Road. The broader upgrades will include road widening, lighting upgrade, utility adjustments and public domain improvements.
Council has initiated the procurement process to appoint a suitable consultant to develop detailed designs for the road upgrade works with designs expected to be completed late 2024 enabling construction to commence in 2025.
Constitution Road, Meadowbank 2114 View Map