Home Modification and Maintenance Service

The Ryde/Hunters Hill Home Modification and Maintenance Service ceases operation from 30 June 2024.
There are a range of alternative not-for-profit organisations offering the same service as well as additional support, providing access to a greater one-stop-shop range of home care services. From 1 July, to identify all the home modification and maintenance service providers in the Northern Sydney Region, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care Portal.

The Ryde/ Hunters Hill Home Modification and Maintenance Service (HMMS) provides a subsidised modification and maintenance service for eligible people living in the Ryde and Hunters Hill Local Government areas.

Our aim is to assist people with access, safety and independence so that they may remain living in their own home.

All our tradespeople are qualified, insured and have a criminal record check to ensure a reliable and safe service.

Please note: The HMMS is not intended to be used for emergency rectification works.

Who is eligible?

This service is for people 65 years of age and over (50 years for people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background). You will require a My Aged Care assessment to be eligible for the subsidy.

What will it cost?

Modification charges will depend on an income assessment. 

Maintenance costs include an hourly rate plus an additional charge for materials.

Refer to Councils fees and charges for further information.

What jobs can we do?

handrail inside house
Examples of modifications:
  • Installation of handrails
  • Installation of hand-held showers
  • Building ramps
  • Adjustment of chair or bed height

Examples of maintenance:

  • Minor carpentry
  • Minor plumbing
    electrician working
  • Minor electrical works  
  • Gutter cleaning
  • Window cleaning
  • Pressure cleaning

How to access HMMS

  1. Contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit www.myagedcare.gov.au.
  2. Tell My Aged Care that Ryde Hunters Hill Home Modification and Maintenance Service is your preferred provider.
  3. Contact Council’s Home Modification and Maintenance Service on 9952 8308.
    Note: Modification work will require an occupational therapy assessment. Please discuss this with our team.
  4. Council will connect you with a relevant tradesperson, who will contact you to arrange a suitable date and time to complete the works.
  5. Once the job has been completed, Council will send you an invoice
lady outside house holding hand rail

Related Documents


Our customers have this to say about the service:

"[The Home Modification and Maintenance Service] takes the worry of calling several suppliers for quotes out of your hands... The tradesmen are all top notch. Punctual, efficient and professional. Their rates are competitive and they always leave the work area cleaned. Can’t recommend them enough.” - Shirley - West Ryde

“Without these modifications, I could not use the bathroom. I could not access my clothesline and I could not safely enter and leave my house. In short, I could not remain in my home. I believe your organisation makes a significant contribution to the wellbeing of the frail aged within the municipalities.” - Ross, West Ryde

Read more

Your rights and responsibilities

As a client you have the right to expect:

  • Privacy and confidentiality
  • Respect and dignity
  • Provision of quality materials
  • Access to service on a non-discriminatory basis

You have the right and responsibility to accept or reject service, wholly or in part.

The Australian Government Charter of Aged Care Rights that started in 1 July 2019 describes your rights as a person receiving aged care services. For more information please go the following websites.


Clients have the right to present a complaint and know it will be listened to. You have the right to make a complaint without it affecting the service you receive. Complaints can be useful in helping us improve our customer service. All complaints will be responded to and the client’s identity protected.

  • If you wish to make a complaint, or want someone to make a complaint on your behalf, contact the Team Leader Community Grants and Direct Services on 9952 8048 or email taniag@ryde.nsw.gov.au
  • If you do not feel comfortable contacting Council, contact the NSW Ombudsman’s Office on  9286 1000, or the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822.