There are plenty of ways you can cut single-use plastic from your life and here are some simple and easy-to-do ideas to get you started.
- Avoid plastic stirrers—use a wooden stirrer or metal spoon.
- Replace disposable cups and lids with your own reusable cup.
- Plastic water bottles are not so cool—carry a reusable water bottle.
- Straws suck! Go without or use a reusable straw.
- Replace disposable containers with reusable containers.
- Plastic bags are old news! Bring your own shopping bag.
- Still using disposable plastic plates? Use compostable ones instead.
- Balloons fly away and can't be reused. Replace with alternatives such as bunting and flowers.
- Don't make a meal out of plastic cutlery. Bring your own or use compostable alternatives.
Don't know where to start or want more ideas? Council has created useful toolkits to help businesses and the community make the change and encourage others to join us on the journey. While you're here take the pledge, big or small, to cut single-use plastic!
You can reduce the use of single-use plastic in the day-to-day operations of your business and encourage customers to embrace going green. To help you start the journey, Council has put together a toolkit containing a useful how-to-guide and information about the reward and recognition program for businesses in City of Ryde.
For Communities and Schools
There are plenty of ways you can cut single-use plastics out of your life and improve the health of our local environment. You can:
- Volunteer to clean-up during the Clean-Up Australia Day event or organise a clean-up event any time of the year
- Actively use reusable items over single-use plastic items where possible
If you're not sure how to start or need more ideas, take a look at our toolkit for communities.
Take the Pledge
Say you'll make a difference by taking the pledge. You can do it on an individual level or take the pledge as a business, school or community group.