Justices of the Peace

Person signing with pen

City of Ryde Libraries are offering limited JP services. For the safety of our community we are adhering to our COVID-Safe Plan and social distancing will be implemented.

Conditions of use:

  • Please stay home if you feel unwell.
  • Have photocopies of your documents and/or identification ready before you queue up.
  • Document limit: 10 pages maximum per customer.
  • No booking is required but as this is a high demand service only a limited number of tickets are issued for each session. First-come first-served basis.
  • Please see staff at front desk for a ticket when you arrive.
  • Tickets may be issued 30 minutes prior to the commencement of the session, depending on demand.

What services can a Justice of the Peace (JP) provide?

Generally, JPs are available to:

  • Witness a person making a statutory declaration
  • Witness a person making an affidavit
  • Certify a true copy of an original document

Please note, JPs are not available to give any legal advice for:

  • Mortgages
  • Company registration
  • Guarantees
  • Wills
  • Power of Attorney
  • Proof of Life
  • Overseas documents

These documents should be taken to a Solicitor, a Notary Public or a third party that has the authority to explain and discuss the document. To find a Public Notary please visit notarylocator.com.au/NSW

Please Note: Witnessing ID for a passport application will be available if the JP has known the person for at least 12 months.

JP Public Register

You can find a Justice of the Peace using the online JP Public Register. You can search by postcode, name of a JP, day of availability, language spoken and JP registration number. 

The register lists a JP’s location, availability and telephone number. Please note that JPs are volunteers and may not be available at all times.

PLEASE NOTE: NSW JPs are not authorised under NSW law to witness the execution of documents for use overseas. This is because there may be requirements for overseas documents that are governed by overseas laws, rather than NSW law.

In Australia, Public Notaries are able to witness signatures on overseas documents. You can find out more information about Public Notaries at https://notarynsw.org.au

NSW Justices Association

Contact the NSW Justices Association if you need more information about JPs, wish to become a JP, or need JP services outside of these hours.

The NSW Justices Association website will give you postcodes and telephone numbers for JPs in your postcode area.

Phone: 9736 2255
Email: nswja@nswja.org.au
Website: www.nswja.org.au