Complaints Guidelines

What can I complain about?

You can complain to us about your dissatisfaction with Council’s level and quality of service, employee, contractor and/or Councillor conduct, or the application of policies and procedures affecting you.

How to lodge a complaint

It is important that you explain your concerns in your own words. Summarise in a couple of sentences exactly what your complaint is about, the information you provide should be clear and to the point. When writing your complaint, think about the following:

  • relevant dates, places and times 
  • a description of the incident or problem 
  • details of any phone conversations and meetings 
  • details of any witnesses to the incident or problem and their contact details 
  • copies of supporting evidence, photographs or documents that may be relevant 
  • what action you think should be taken to resolve your problem

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

Council will do its best to review anonymous complaints, however, it can be very difficult to resolve these issues, or enforce legislation, without the ability to thoroughly investigate and gather evidence and witness information.

Action is taken on anonymous complaints as far as it is possible to do so without being able to consult with the complainant. If there is sufficient information in the complaint, a review will be conducted.

If you wish to make an anonymous complaint please send your complaint to Council in writing, e.g. letter format, or call our Customer Service Call Centre and ask to speak with the Coordinator Complaints Management.

What can I expect from the process?

  • Friendly, courteous attention 
  • Independent and impartial advice 
  • Investigations undertaken in a professional manner 
  • Clear explanations about what we can and cannot do 
  • Regular information about the progress of your complaint 
  • Full reasons for any decisions we make

How long will it take?

Complaints will be dealt with quickly, courteously, fairly and within established timelines. Complainants will be advised of how long it will take to deal with the complaint in accordance with the City of Ryde’s complaint handling timelines and will be kept informed of the progress.

In some cases we may need to conduct a more thorough investigation into the complaint. In these cases the Coordinator Complaints Management will advise you of the expected timeframe to address your complaint.

Going a step further

If you feel dissatisfied with the way your complaint has been handled by the City of Ryde, you can raise your concern with the Coordinator Complaints Management or you may refer your complaint to the organisations listed below. 

External Agencies

NSW Ombudsman
Level 24, 580 George Street, SYDNEY NSW 2000
Phone: 02 9286 1000 or 1800 451 524
Fax: 02 9283 2911

NSW Office of Local Government
Locked Bag 3015, NOWRA NSW 2541
Phone: 02 4428 4100
Fax: 02 4428 4199

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)
GPO Box 500, SYDNEY NSW 2001
Phone: 02 8281 5999 or 1800 463 909
Fax: 02 9264 5364

NSW Privacy Commissioner
GPO Box 7011, SYDNEY NSW 2001
Phone: 02 8019 1600
Fax: 02 8114 3755