Jump to: 1000 Books Before School - Premier's Reading Challenge
Our libraries may be temporarily closed for the health and safety of our community but don't let that stop you and your child from reading and reaching 1000 books!
Remember you can:
For more info about changes to our library services, visit our Service Updates page.
1000 Books Before School
Register, Read and Be Rewarded
The 1000 Books Before School program is an early literacy program designed to build important literacy skills prior to starting school and instil a love of reading. The free program aims to encourage parents and carers to read with their young children to help prepare them for school.
How to get started
- Visit the Ryde 1000 Books Before School website and register yourself and your child in to the program.
- Alternatively, you can download the Beanstack app on the Google Play or Apple App Store on your tablet or phone and sign up. When you open the app, say that "Yup! Your library is part of Beanstack". Search for "Ryde" and then click on Ryde Library Services.
- We encourage using an individual child’s library card for the program to help keep track of their reading.
How the program works
- Come in to any City of Ryde Library branch to get your Reading Log or download the PDF file(PDF, 13MB) and print it out.
- Mark, colour or place a sticker on your reading record each time you read together with your child. You can also use the website or tablet and phone app to log your reading progress.
- When you have read 100 books, visit a City of Ryde Library and show your reading record or online notifications to a library staff to receive your "I’m reading 1000 Books Before School" bag.
- Each time you reach the 100-book milestone, either online or via your reading record, bring it in to receive a merit patch for your bag.
- Every book that your child completes or listens to counts, and reading the same book multiple times counts each time. This includes stories read at:
- Storytime sessions
- Day care
- The program finishes once your child reaches the goal of 1000 books, starts school or turns 6.
The 1000 Books Before School program is a joint project between the following councils:
- Hornsby Shire Council Library Service
- Shorelink Library Network (Lane Cove Council Library Service, Mosman Council Library Service and North Sydney Council Library Service)
- Ku-ring-gai Council Library Service
- Ryde Library Service
For more information contact us at email@example.com.
Premier's Reading Challenge
The Challenge aims to encourage in students a love of reading for leisure and pleasure, and to enable students to experience quality literature. It is not a competition but a challenge to each student to read, to read more and to read more widely.
Books in the Premier's Reading Challenge that are available from Ryde libraries are listed in the Library Catalogue.