Held on the last Sunday of March, Neighbour Day is an annual celebration of community and aims to build better relationships with the people who live around us. Neighbour Day is managed by Relationships Australia.
The 2020 Neighbour Day theme is Social Connection, with a focus on connecting with others and joining and taking part in social groups.
Ways to connect with your neighbours
- Host or join an event in our area. Get ideas and resources on our Hosting a Neighbour Day event page.
- Start or join a community garden in your area and grow vegies, fruit or flowers with others in your area. Community gardens build communities and enhance our natural environment. City of Ryde is also piloting a new program for apartment-dwellers called Our Common Ground, which is a sustainable food program.
- Volunteer your time to help others. Council provides information and resources so you know what to expect as a volunteer and lists current volunteering opportunities with Council and community organisations. Visit our Volunteering page to find out more.
- Get active and join in local classes or groups. Through Council's Active in Ryde program, we offer a range of exercise programs and guided walks. Find out more on our Events listing page or explore our community information directory.
- Connect with your neighbours by starting or joining a Facebook group or join free social networks such as Nextdoor.
Why knowing your neighbours can help you to withstand emergency situations
Building up support at a neighbour-to-neighbour level is one of the best ways we can build up our resilience as a community in the face of loneliness and physical isolation. It also helps us better manage major threat and shocks like heat waves, severe storms, bushfires or flooding.
One of the best ways we can achieve this is through local links with the community. Research shows that more closely-knit, cohesive communities are better off to deal with all types of emergency situations. Evidence shows that strong social connections are one of the most important indicators of a city’s overall resilience.
Visit our Resilient Ryde page to find information and resource to help you and your neighbours be more resilient. This includes information about:
City of Ryde's Neighbour Day Events
More information coming soon.
Other Neighbour Day Events within the City of Ryde
Visit our Event listings page to find Neighbour Day events near you.
Hosting a Neighbour Day event
Looking to host a Neighbour Day event?