Main Content Anchor
Located at: Pennant Avenue, Ryde
John Blaxland (son of the explorer and owner of Brush Farm House, Gregory Blaxland) purchased 5 acres of land in 1838. Blaxland built the house for his family and it was completed in 1841. John Blaxland was known as the hermit, within the family and so the house was named The Hermitage. The house is a rare survivor from the early settlement period of Ryde.
Photo (right): Rear courtyard of The Hermitage in 1954
The Hermitage was purchased by CSIRO in 1952 from Mr DT Nicholson. It became one of three CSIRO Wool Research Laboratories and in 1958 became a separate division and was named the Division of Textile Physics. The Hermitage and its surrounds stayed in Commonwealth Hands until 1999, when CSIRO rationalised its properties in the Ryde area.
Last updated on 6 February 2017